Burn Permits

Burn Permits

What is today's fire danger? Click here to find out.

A burn permit must be issued the day you wish to burn. Please contact the Fire Department at least 24 hours before to schedule a visit. Failure to call 24 hours ahead may limit your ability to obtain a permit.  Greenland Fire Department is open daily 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Burn permits are issued at the Fire Station from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

  • What are the rules?

-You must obtain a signed burn permit from the Fire Warden or a Deputy Fire Warden.

-The Fire Warden or a Deputy Fire Warden will determine if the burn pile is reasonable in size or if it must be reduced.

-You must own the land where you intend to burn. If you do not own the land, you must have the owner's written approval.

-You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a permit.

-Open burning must be 50 feet away from nearest field, brush, woodland or structure.

-You must have the means to extinguish the fire at any time.  A hose, shovel or rake, and a bucket of water should be available at the fire.

-Open burning must be constantly attended until the fire is completely extinguished. 

-The Fire Department shall order any open burning that creates or adds to a hazardous or objectionable situation to be extinguished. If the fire becomes a nuisance, it must be extinguished.

-Even with a valid permit, under State law, any damage caused as a result of a kindled fire becomes the obligation of the party responsible for kindling the fire (including the cost of suppression).

-Permitted burning is allowed between the hours of 5 p.m. and midnight.  If it is raining or the ground has sufficient snow cover a permit may be issued for burning earlier than 5 p.m.

  • Do I need a burn permit for a Chiminea, Fire Pit, Outdoor Fireplace, etc?

Yes. Obtaining a burn permit for a wood-burning unit (chiminea, fire pit, outdoor fireplace, etc) is a State law.  You must comply with the rules for burning when using one of the wood-burning units mentioned above.  In addition, the following applies:

-The wood-burning unit (chiminea, fire pit, outdoor fireplace, etc.) must be a minimum of 25 feet away from a structure.

-A seasonal permit (valid for one calendar year) for a wood-burning device may be issued.  The seasonal permit will only be issued for the wood-burning unit; it is not a permit for open burning.

-A burn permit my be revoked at the discretion of the Fire Warden or Deputy Fire Wardens at any time.

-A person at least 18 years of age must be present at all times when the wood-burning device is in use.

-Once you have obtained a seasonal burn permit for the wood-burning device, it may be used at any time, day or night.

-You may only burn wood.

  • What can I burn?

Only  woody debris or brush less than 5 inches in diameter and untreated (clean) lumber can be burned.  You may not burn pressure treated or painted lumber, plywood, tires, tubes, leaves, brush over five inches in diameter, refuse or other waste.

  • Who can issue a burn permit?

Before starting a brush fire you must have a signed burn permit in hand.  Contact the Fire Warden or one of the Deputy Fire Wardens from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to obtain a burn permit.  Residents must request a burn permit at least 24-hours prior to the start of your burn.  Burn permits requested with less than 24-hours notice may not be issued.  You may call the Fire Station (603.436.1188) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., to request a permit.  

  • Why do I need a burn permit?

It’s the law: RSA 227-L:17(ll)

Any person, firm, or corporation who wishes to burn clean, ordinary combustibles such as brush or untreated lumber, or have a camp or cooking fire, must have written permission from the landowner and a fire permit from the local forest Fire Warden or local Fire Department in the town or city where the fire will be kindled. You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a written fire permit.

Campgrounds or picnic grounds, regardless of whether they are public or privately owned, must obtain an annual written fire permit from the town Forest Fire Warden for use of outside fireplaces, camp or cooking fires used in the operation of the camp or picnic grounds.

Each day New Hampshire's Forest Protection Bureau assesses the forest fire potential and determines the day's class.  To view today's class day, click on the link above.  Burn permits will not be issued on days that are classified as 4 or 5.  A permit may be issued on a day classified as a 3. Always contact the Greenland Fire Department Fire Warden or a Deputy Fire Warden to request a burn permit, at least 24-hours before you start burning.